Monday, September 8, 2014

My Life as a Lowkey Bisexual




The word "bisexual" didn't even come into my vocabulary until I went to college. I struggled with an identity label in high school because I knew I wasn't straight but I knew I couldn't fully commit to the lesbian agenda. 

So my mind is opened to a whole new vocabulary in college. And I'm like, yeah, "bisexual", that'll do pig, that'll do. 

But in a college town whose students are overwhelmingly heterosexual, there's little to no opportunities to try out my new sexuality. And there's a lot of self doubt that comes with claiming an identity and then not being able to express it. 

And apparently me claiming this identity and not tromping around in an all-rainbow-clad outfit 24/7 makes my identity somehow less legitimate to some people? 

But...I'll tell you why I don't overcompensate for my marginalized sexuality. BECAUSE I WANT TO BE LAZY HEYYYY. If I can assume most guys in SLO are straight, flirting is easy. And if I can assume most girls in SLO are straight, I don't have to waste my time awkwardly flirting especially if all you want to do is drunkenly makeout with me to make your boyfriend jealous/turned on in an insanely creepy way. 

I'm not required to be attracted to, flirt with, or be in relationships with guys and girls at a 1:1 ratio. So yeah, you'll find me flirting with guys a shit ton more than girls. But that doesn't make me any less of a bisexual. 


No comments:

Post a Comment