Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Introduction to Intersectionality

Maybe you run with a hardcore feminist group like myself and already pretty much know what intersectionality is. Maybe you're vaguely familiar and want to know more. Maybe you're my dad or anyone else who lives without internet service and believes in complete anarchy and have never even heard of the term. Never fear! I shall explain to the best of my abilities...

Intersectionality: "The study of intersections between forms or systems of oppression, domination, or discrimination." Term coined by Kimberle Crenshaw in 1989.
Intersectional: "Between, among, shared by, or involving" two or more sections (in this case, forms of oppression).

So your feminism can be intersectional. Feminism, your personal ideology and movement, can be intersectional in that it includes conversations about, dialogues around, and puts spotlights on other forms of oppression that women experience. It promotes intersectionality.

You yourself cannot be an "intersectional feminist". Why? Because that makes no sense. You're a feminist at every intersection that various forms of oppression have with sexism? Unless you identify with every marginalized group, as well as as a woman, then you cannot be intersectional because you're not at all the intersections!

Semantics, you guys. Sorry, I'm an English major.

I myself as a white, able bodied, cis woman have to especially check myself with this. As much as I want to advocate for other marginalized groups, I have to realize that I will never ever ever be able to speak for them because I have not a single clue what their experiences are like.


I can learn about them. Read books and articles. Ask my other woman friends. But I will never have first hand experience of what it is like to be a woman of color, a woman with a physical disability, a transwoman, etc.

The best I can do is make sure that ANY discussions, movements, or media involving feminism includes these women. We need to make damn sure that every form of oppression is represented anytime anything related to feminism is brought up. Working on bridging the pay gap between men and women? Yo, realize that women of color get paid even less than white women. Working on promoting reproductive rights? Yo, think about how that affects disabled or transwomen. Working on getting more girls involved in STEM fields? Yo, particularly reach out to girls in lower income areas who might not be in the best education system.

It is the women/men out there that label themselves as "feminists" but are transphobic, homophobic, anti-choice, or racist that are giving the word "feminism" negative connotations and overall, slowing the whole movement down by doing more harm than good.


If you promote social justice, specifically feminism, and leave out groups of women who have additional burdens then you are just a total asshat. Total. asshat. I'll say it again because it's a great word: Ass. Hat.

For all my visual learners out there, here is an example of how various forms of oppression intersect. Birdcage analogy coined by the bamf feminist theorist Marilyn Frye.

Okay so here's a gnarly example to gnaw on...

So we remove one wire from the cage: sexism. We expand our definition and acceptance of what is considered "feminine" behavior, appearance, etc. Think about how white women can get away with pulling a "tomboy" look off without having their femininity questioned. We can cut our hair off and it's quirky. I can rock my 90s grunge movement-esque wardrobe without much backlash from men trying to make me wear pink dresses. 

Now think about other groups of women trying to do this. The first ones that come to my mind are transwomen and Latina women. 

Rarely do you seem a transwomen who is dressed more androgynous or masculine. Think about Laverne Cox. That women is straight up fierce on every red carpet with perfect makeup, perfect hair, flawless vision of femininity.  Transwomen have the task (imposed on them by society's incapability to just be nice and wrap their head around the idea that gender and gender expression operate on a spectrum not a binary) of constantly exerting and "proving" their femininity through their appearance and behavior. Wtf. What if homegirl Laverne wants to chill out in sweats and a jersey one day? I guarantee she would be met with questions and interrogation about the "validity" of her femininity. Not cool.

Now, Latina women. I took an impromptu trip down to Tijuana a few months ago (my mother has already forgiven me, don't worry) and I noticed that every. single. woman. was dressed in full blown makeup, perfect hair, and high heels. Like 24/7. To the grocery store, the movies, on a walk, wherever. Many Latino cultures still have slightly rigid gender roles. I highly doubt a Latina woman would have an easy time pulling of the "tomboy" look or slightly defying female gender roles through her appearance and still be seen as "cute" and "quirky" the way a white woman would if she dressed the same way. Again, not cool. 


So this was a fairly chill-ish example. Still not cool that I don't have to constantly express and validate my femininity and other marginalized women do, but there's a lot worse going on. Marginalized women still make less $ than white women. Some marginalized women don't have the same health care/reproductive rights as white women. 

AND THAT my friends is because if we focus on just removing one form of oppression (i.e. sexism) and overlook how that oppression interplays with other forms of oppression (i.e. racism, transphobia, homophobia, etc.) then we fail to liberate like essentially every woman that isn't white/straight/able-bodied/cisgender/etc...

So strive to have your personal views of feminism, the work you do, and the issues you fight for be intersectional and inclusive of women of all identities!


No comments:

Post a Comment